Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Where’s my son?



"Your stomach aches with pain, your heart is tacacardic, blood pressure rises and sweat is fast soaking your clothes."

We lived in Hawaii, on the island of Oahu. My wife was stationed at Scholfield Barracks Army post in Wahiawa, Hawaii. The year was probably around 1985 and it was a little before Christy was born with Chris being a toddler.
Chris and I use to go for a walk around the block, he riding tall and proud on his tricycle, me walking behind him to make sure he stayed on course. We both loved these walks and looked forward to them.
One day I was busy with something and I guess Chris got a little impatient with me and wanted to go on his bike ride and he was not going to wait. So off he went, without me or anyone else to watch him. A few minutes later I notice he was missing. I looked around, concerned but not with any panic. He was probably hiding from me I thought. The more I looked the more panic rose in my inner being. He was nowhere to be found.
There is no feeling like that of not knowing where your kid(s) may be. Your stomach aches with pain, your heart is tacacardic, blood pressure rises and sweat is fast soaking your clothes. Panic had set in as I ran outside to search, tears wealing up in my eyes. This kid is God’s gift to me and there is no way I am going to lose him.
I look out front- no Chris. Out back- still no Chris. I check the playground- again, no Chris. Tears are now running down my checks. I hear someone yell something. Are they talking to me I ask myself, listening more intently. “Are you looking for your son?” they ask. “YES!” “He’s over here riding in the middle of the road, just riding in circles and crying.” Thank God!
I run over, probably smashing my 100-yard dash personal best time, elated and angry at Chris for taking off like that. I carry him back to the house, Chris in my right arm on my hip carrying his tricycle in my left hand. After he and I calm down we have that talk, “Chris, don’t ever ride off by yourself again. Okay?” “ Okay.” He says. Then with a kiss and a hug he is off for another adventure in the house.

1 comment:

  1. No horror movie will scare you as much as temorarily losing a little one. You still feel months afterwards... and that's with a happy ending... anything else is unthinkable.
    - Lar

    ReplyDelete