Thursday, November 12, 2009

Streaking

"Even at six a dare is a serious thing that is not to be taken lightly. You can’t back out of a dare- the completion of a dare is one of the steps to manhood."



“…and they called it the streak”

Ray Stevens made the, “Streak” a hit in 1974. I practiced years before as a small kid in Illinois. I was about six at the time. We lived in the village of Winthrop harbor, Il. My best friends were Frankie and Johnny who were about two or three years older than me.

We would often play in the fields and woods that were close to our homes. In the sixties we didn’t worry about being a little kid and child molesters that preyed upon them as we have now. At least I never had this problem.

On this particular adventure I was part of a dare. Even at six a dare is a serious thing that is not to be taken lightly. You can’t back out of a dare- the completion of a dare is one of the steps to manhood. Even at six I understood this.

This was the dare. Take off our clothes and run around the bushes. So as any boy who wants to become a man does- I took off my clothes. Frankie also did the same but Johnny didn’t. He had other plans. He grabbed all our clothes and ran.

I thought life would end then and there. I could not go home naked and I could not catch Johnny. So I did what any six-year-old kid would do in this situation. I balled my eyes out screaming at Johnny to give my clothes back. Luckily he complied and I got dressed without the humiliation of going home naked.

This was one of many such adventures with Frankie and Johnny. They were not a good influence on me needless to say so moving to Iowa when I was eight was a good thing.

1 comment:

  1. Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

    I once dared Steve to run out the front door in his underpants, around the house and back in the door... in the snow. Soon's he left I locked the door. I think he went around 3-times before I let him in. Damn - big brothers CAN be a bit cruel.

    Of course I was just trying to build character...
    ...sure I was.

    ReplyDelete