Thursday, April 29, 2010

The tree, and the Playboy Magazine




"With the thinking of a grade school boy which itself can be a swirl of confusing thoughts sees pictures of naked women it becomes a new adventure."

A boy’s curiosity is a never-ending adventure full of the mysteries of life. One of those curiosities is a girl. Girls can be beautiful and perplexing-something that does not change when they grow up. A woman is even more of a curiosity to a boy who puberty is just starting to begin. So when the trash mans truck broke down in our alley behind my best friend Mike’s house, which was full of some Playboy magazines, they quickly found a new home in the hidden corner of Mike’s garage.
With the thinking of a grade school boy which itself can be a swirl of confusing thoughts sees pictures of naked women it becomes a new adventure. We thought the best place to view our new find would be in the tree that bordered my house and Mike’s. Why the tree? I have no idea. Maybe we thought we wouldn’t be caught up there with the forbidden items.
As we started to climb my little brother Brad shows up and demands he gets one too or he will tell on us. So three little boy monkeys are climbing the tree and then we hear our big brother Wayne who is a young teenager. “Whatca got there?” he asks. “Nothing.” We stated. The problem with that is that Brad wasn’t as smart as we were by hiding the magazine in his shirt. His was flopping in the wind like an American flag on top a capital building.
To this day I still remember the grin on Wayne’s face when he saw what we had. It makes me snicker now thinking about it. The next part must have scared me because I don’t remember what happened next. I’m sure Wayne took them away from us. What he did with them I don’t know.
This was not the end of the Playboy adventure though. We opened a new chapter when we took them to the creek that flowed by my house-tore out the foldouts and dropped them off the bridge trying to see if we could make them land upright unfolded. Then watched them gentle flow down the stream sure to be found by a class mate so he could start his new adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment