Monday, July 11, 2011

Dad

"A king, realizing his incompetence, can either delegate or abdicate his duties. A father can do neither. If only sons could see the paradox, they would understand the dilemma." -- Marlene Dietrich


Dad, born two years after the great depression, lived a long life often filled with rough roads with pot holes as large as one of the great lakes.  He took some of it in stride-and some of it with great pain and sorrow. He was not a perfect man or father. But in this life, not one exists.

But his struggles and hardships are over shadowed by his accomplishments. He had great success', often with tough grit, will power and perseverance. He was not an educated man and dropped out of high school to help his mother after his dad passed away when he was thirteen. He later proudly received his GED which was not necessary for life or work, but was necessary for his pride.

He had successful business’ and a comfortable retirement though not so much financially but in family. You see, dad’s greatest accomplishment, according to himself (and me), was his family- his kids. He didn’t need things for happiness- he just needed his family. That’s where his riches were proudly displayed on his walls and scrap books for all to see. He was so proud of each and every one of his kids whether they were biological, adopted or step. This is the biggest lesson that dad had taught me, passed on to me, and touches my heart so deeply today.

Now as a dad with four kids I can relate to the pride of your own kids. Yes, they often frustrate you and cause you emotional distress. But the overwhelming majority of the time they are blessings- gifts given from God. I understand dad’s love for us more now than as a child because I see it in my love for my children.

He always mentioned how much he loved his kids. We always knew we were loved because he told us so. He bragged on us to all to who would hear and if they didn’t want to hear it, he’d tell them anyway. His greatest struggle with Alzheimer’s was the thought of forgetting his kid’s names…or his kids. 

I miss dad. I miss his senseless humor-the conversations and the life lessons passed on by him. But mostly, I miss him because I know he loved me with an almost agape type of love and that is the greatest gift a father can pass on to his son.

Robert Augustus Wasion

BORN: June 7, 1927
DIED: November 6, 2009
LOCATION: Port Orange, FL

No comments:

Post a Comment